Prof. Dr. V. Nandakumar
MBBS ,MS, MCh(Cardiothoracic), FIACS, MNAMS (Cardiothoracic)
Director & Chief- Cardiothoracic SurgeryDepartment : Cardiac Surgery
Prof.Dr. V Nandakumar, a cardiac surgeon with an experience of over 32 years, took his graduation in medicine from Trivandrum Medical College, MS in General Surgery from Mysore Govt Medical College, MCh in Cardiothoracic Surgery from CMC, Vellore, and MNAMS in Cardiothoracic Surgery from National Board Examination. With an illustrious career spanning twelve years (1975-1987) with Govt Medical College, Calicut, Dr Nandakumar was instrumental in starting an Open Heart Surgery programme in 1982.
It was while working with St Vincent’s Hospital and Alfred Hospital, Melbourne (1990-93), Australia he strengthened his expertise in Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, Mitral Valve Repairs and Heart and Lung Transplantation. He was also an Honorary Scholar in Cardiac Surgery in Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne. Later he joined Kovai Medical Centre (1993) to set up the Cardiac Surgery Department and successfully served as the chief Cardiac Surgeon for two decades before joining the Metro International Cardiac Centre.
- Ethicon travelling fellowship, 1982
- Reeve H. Betts travelling fellowship, 1985
- Life member of Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons
- Life member of Indian Association of Calirdiologists
- Was examiner for MCh Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, Calicut and Thiruvanathapuram Medical Colleges
- Was examiner for DNB Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- Presented papers at national conferences
- Published papers in international and national journals